Thread: ClickPic causing Windows Explorer crash?

Hybrid View

Default ClickPic causing Windows Explorer crash?

Hi.

I recently the installed the ClickPic trial after purchasing ThumbNailer (and am enjoying both so far).

However, something very odd has started to happen. In case it matters, I'm running 32-bit Vista Ultimate on an HP NW8440 laptop.

When I try to launch Microsoft Expression Web 2 from the Start menu (or whatever it's called in Vista), Windows Explorer crashes with the following details:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
    Fault Module Name: ClickPic.DLL
    Fault Module Version: 1.7.0.5
    Fault Module Timestamp: 48642655
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000c146
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

This is a bit of pain. However, I can launch Expression Web 2 just fine if I navigate through the 'All Programs' to it and click it there.

I haven't seen this problem launching any other application from the 'Start Menu'.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Or any ideas what might be going on.

Thanks!

- John -
    (was an ImgSource customers back in 2000-2001 and have recently returned to become a ThumbNailer customer)

Default Re: ClickPic causing Windows Explorer crash?

So, this happens only when launching from the Start menu's most-recently-used app list ?

Hmmm...

I haven't heard of anything like this before. And, since I don't have Expression, I'm not quite sure how to test it...

Thumbs up Re: ClickPic causing Windows Explorer crash?

>>> So, this happens only when launching from the Start
    >>> menu's most-recently-used app list ?

Yup. And I've only seen it happen with Expression Web 2.

If you'd be willing to install the trial version to see if you can replicate it, you can get a trial installer at:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/Default.aspx

(In case people don't know, Expression Web is Microsoft's latest web design tool and is, in a sense, the successor to Front Page. Lots of improvement in terms of CSS, etc. than FrontPage had and I'm enjoying it so far.)

Thanks.

- John -

i'll try the trial version and see if i can figure out anything.

ok, i've installed Expression Web.

OK, strike the next part. see update below.
    i can launch it from the All Programs section of the start menu, just fine. but, like all MS apps on my system, i can't launch it from the M.R.U. section - clicking the shortcut does nothing. this is a problem with my system which i've never been able to fix, but it's related to the screwy way MS creates the shortcuts to its Office apps. (it's not just my computer, thankfully: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...lications.html)

so, i'm going to have to find another Vista machine to test this on... luckily, we have one on order right now. so, hopefully, i can do it soon.

i've figured-out the problem i was having above, but now i can't duplicate the crash problem you're seeing. Expression launches just fine...

if you're up for a little investigation, there's a neat little tool called ShellExView that will show you
    all the shell extensions you're currently using and let you disable them one at a time; that's how i solved my problem above. by process of elimination, i discovered that there was one extenstion which was somehow interfering with the Start Menu stuff. you might be able to see if the problem is limited to ClickPic or if it's an interaction with another extension, etc..

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Last edited by Admin; 08-30-2008 at 02:48 PM.

I'll try that ShellExView tool when I have a chance. However, I do want to note that I uninstalled ClickPic and no longer have the problem.

When I get done my latest 'crunch mode' at work, I'll try re-installing to see if the problem re-appears and, if so, run that tool and let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your investigative work so far.

- John -

PralayJp Guest

Ave, http://shysave.com/?said=t17
    Quote Originally Posted by JEA251 View Post
    I'll try that ShellExView tool when I have a chance. However, I do want to note that I uninstalled ClickPic and no longer have the problem.

When I get done my latest 'crunch mode' at work, I'll try re-installing to see if the problem re-appears and, if so, run that tool and let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your investigative work so far.

- John -